Breaking News

What to Expect at a General Dental Exam

Dental health issues are very sensitive and need the services of a reputable dental clinic that can provide the best results at the least biological cost to your teeth. However, many consumers consider cost when determining which dental treatments to seek at which dental clinic. Perhaps you are one of those wondering ‘how much does a deep cleaning for teeth cost?’ How much does a full mouth deep cleaning cost?’ or ‘how much does a general teeth cleaning cost?’ The cost issue is particularly concerning since the majority of medical and dental insurance policies exclude cosmetic dentistry procedures, such as teeth cleaning, from coverage, leaving consumers to pay out of their pocket.

However, how much dentist charge for teeth cleaning should not concern a consumer as much as the quality of treatment expected. The most important step is to choose the appropriate dental clinic that provides the dental services you seek. What is interesting is that the majority of dental services, including those not covered by dental insurance, are relatively affordable and accessible at the majority of dental clinics.


Iv sedation dentistry west palm

So you’ve been conducting a dentist search recently and you’re on the hunt for a great family dentist to treat both you and your kids. A family dentist will be able to provide you with general dentistry services such as teeth cleaning, X-rays, and preventative care, all for a relatively low cost that can usually be paid by your dental insurance company.

Finding a Dentist:
Over 80% of dentists are general practitioners, while the other 20% are specialists, so it should not be difficult to find a general family dentistry office in your area. Once you’ve chosen a family dentist you can trust, there are a few things to expect from a general dental exam.

General Dental Exam:
First of all, a general dental exam and tooth cleaning can help you maintain good oral health. Frequent exams can prevent gum disease — the most common cause of tooth loss among adults, and can also help prevent tooth loss, which is 15% more common than asthma among those aged 14 to 17 years.

The Exam:
First, your dentist will get familiar with the inner workings of your mouth and ask you about your general health. Your general health can have a major impact on your oral health, so it is important to give accurate information about your health history.

Next, the dentist will examine your teeth for any signs of decay or cavities. They will asses your gums and soft tissue structures in your mouth (discoloration, inflammation, etc.)for any early signs of infection or disease.

An X-ray will most likely be taken in order to have your teeth on file. X-rays are painless and do not take very long, thanks to new advanced medical technologies. For the picture to come out crystal clean, you must retain completely still. These are not harmful to your health and emit the same amount (or less) radiation than your TV. However, you will be asked to wear a lead apron as a safety precaution.

After the x-ray, you will undergo the teeth cleaning procedure, conducted either by the dentist himself or a dental hygienist. Scraping the plaque and tartar off your teeth is the first step to the cleaning process (sleep dentistry is offered for those who do not like this step), followed by cleaning and polishing. Afterwards, your teeth will be flossed and you may need to undergo a fluoride rise treatment as a preventative measure.

After your exam, your dentist will tell you what they recommend for home preventative care and will determine whether or not you need to come back for a second visit if he seeks any problems or issues.
To learn more, read this:


Leave a Reply